Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
SNAP (formerly known as Food Stamps) helps low-income people buy supplementary food. SNAP benefits are provided on an electronic card that is used like a debit card to buy food at most grocery stores.
Those interested in more information can receive a free confidential screening and complete an application over the phone by calling the SNAP hotline listed below by county.
- Allegheny County:
- Pittsburgh Urban League at 1-866-395-3663; or Just Harvest at 412-431-8963.
- Armstrong County:
- Armstrong County Community Action Agency at 724-548-3630.
- Beaver, Butler, Greene, Lawrence, Washington & Westmoreland Counties:
- Pittsburgh Urban League at 1-866-395-3663.
- Fayette County:
- Fayette County Community Action Agency at 724-430-3011.
- Indiana County:
- Indiana County Community Action Inc. at 724-465-2657.
- Somerset County:
- Family Health Council of Central Pennsylvania, Inc. at 814-443-1901, Ext 1104.
Visit the COMPASS website to complete an application for SNAP online. Additional assistance is available through local food pantries. You can find a local food pantry by visiting our Food Assistance Directory.
For further information on federal nutrition assistance programs, visit the USDA’s website.